Language Tests for Children

Author: TS / Labels: , , , , ,

Last night was the TV Debate between the "chancellor candidates" Frank-Walter Steinmeier and Angela Merkel. Why the quotation marks? Let's be honest: Merkel will become chancellor again since Steini doesn't really have a chance of becoming it with approval ratings around 20-25% for his party. But this is not what this blog will be about.

After the debate I switched to ARD to Anne Will (wow, I do actually watch not only private tv stations). It was a really good hour I had watching the program since this time not the two sleeping pills of chancellor candidates were arguing but rather journalists and two politicians (Klaus Wowereit and Edmund Stoiber). Anne Will's team also put together a fictional debate between Stoiber and Wowereit. In the clip show they had a part of one of Stoiber's talks in which he mentioned mandatory language tests for children before they enter school.

Surprisingly, all of the big five parties, except Die Linke, supports the idea. I just wonder why it hasn't been realized in most of the states (I think NRW, Hesse and Bavaria are the only ones with such a system). I agree that it is very difficult to determine the performance of children in various situations since some children just don't like to talk in other places apart from home. However, since I dealt with a study about the success of Hauptschüler (children of our lowest education level) it becomes apparent what kind of issue these children have: lack of language competency. Many of them are immigrants and 20% of them don't speak German at home. Those are the ones with the biggest problems. It is also proven that your language competency (especially grammar and spelling) is a major factor in your future (no matter what branch of your career). If your language is good your chances in life become much higher.

Now wouldn't these language tests be helpful, especially for immigrant children who have barely been in Germany for a year or so and are required to understand lessons in German completely if they don't want to fail in school? Don't get me wrong: I don't want these people out of the country. Yet, I think aid programs would be really good for them: send them to language school for a year and then get them into school. In my opinion this would significantly decrease risks of them failing at schools and later having to choose the lowest education level and not have any chances in life. I think it's not about getting rid of these children or cast them out from our education. It is about giving them a real chance in life, a postponed one, but a much better chance than what they might face if it wasn't for such a test.

I don't know if the concept is meant for all children (also non-immigrant children). I am against formal tests where these children would be in a room with a person and has to talk to them. This would just put them under pressure and might result in more failings. However, I am for some sort of evaluation by educators and that they should document critical cases. Seemingly, this is the case in most states already and it is also the main criticism against such a formal test. I just wonder: why then do we still have so many children who are stuck on the lowest education level because somebody (whether it be the parents or educators) missed to teach them a good language early on in life...

5 comments:

Sina said...

You know that it is not as easy as you present it...
First of all or most of the time, the parents have to support the idea of the test. Which is not the problem for immigrants, but for Germans. Since they think their children should go to school as soon as possible and since they try everything to push this through.
Second thing is, my mum is doing kind of these "Sprachtests" in her kindergarden. I liked the idea up to the point where someone decided to take the easiest test so that nearly no child would fail. If the parents want more difficult tests they have to go and ask my mum to do them. Parents who have disabled kids do this, because it helps them to find a school, but others do not.
Last but not least... I worked in an integrative school in Berlin. The trouble there was not about talking to the kids, but to the parents. So there should be an aid program - as you called it - for them to.

TS said...

Yep, these are problems, too. I totally agree with you. As always the right format or the right standard will always be difficult to find... no matter what topic. Somebody will always disagree.

Actually my mom wanted me to be born around July or August so I could be enrolled in school at age 7. But it is also true and sad that we live in a society where everything has to go as fast as possible. Sometimes I wished it was more laid-back. But even I want to get through university as fast as possible (also because of Bafög, but also because I don't want to work forever). *sigh*

Do you mean aid program for everybody or just immigrants or just parents of children with language problems?

Sina said...

The thing about you and the Bafög is that - and I do not mean to be mean with you - that without Bafög you would not care so much about getting ready in time. But Bafög makes you hurry, because of all its laws and rules. So it is not your free will.
No, just for immmigrants (as parents) and for children with language problems (immigrant or not does not matter).

TS said...

That's true. If I had the chance I'd take my time and have 12-16 SWS per semester tops. This way I could finally really get into topics and understand the stuff and memorize it...

Sina said...

Plus you would have kind of a private life. Which I am still working on now, because I do not have time during the semester. BUT in addition I am working for the university. Just hoping that somehow everything will be alright one day...

Post a Comment

This template is brought to you by : allblogtools.com | Blogger Templates